[gmx-developers] Conformation representation and energy function

Axel Kohlmeyer akohlmey at cmm.chem.upenn.edu
Tue Oct 5 16:02:30 CEST 2010

martin,

some general remarks. i'll try to be short, if you want, we can discuss
more off-list, as this is really not so much of a development list issue.

i suspect you are trying to put the horse before the cart here.
before trying to find out the technical details, you should think
(and discuss with your colleagues) some fundamental issues.

what you describe would work only reasonably well for a peptide
in vacuum (or implicit solvent). are you sure this is a useful piece
of information? usually peptides are studies immersed in a solvent
and then suddenly you cannot just move things around, as you
would have to move the solvent as well (to make room). and on
top of that, the useful information is the "free energy" i.e. some average
that includes information about the statistical relevance (entropy)
of the conformation you are looking at. there is plenty of literature
on a variety of methods to map out free energy landscapes.

if this is not a concern, you should still consider your approach.
as was mentioned, using some external scripting is straightforward
and will help you focus on implementing your method and testing
its correctness, and then i would first try it on a simplified "toy" code,
before trying to integrate something into a code base as large as
gromacs. you have to be sure about what you need for your method,
so that the only problems of merging are technical issues of understanding
gromacs. otherwise you will be constantly confused by what is the
origin of failures: your method? your implementation? or your integration
into gromacs? if you don't have any practical experience in running
an MD code and being able to tell whether it works correctly or not,
how would you expect to be able to modify it correctly? large packages
have lots of subtle issues and classical force field calculations have
some surprises of their own and thus need some practice for the users
until they are confident in judging its outcome.

cheers,
     axel.