[gmx-developers] Implementation of fluctuating charge into GROMACS: Pressure calculation

Lee-Ping Wang leeping at MIT.EDU
Sat Oct 16 22:16:41 CEST 2010

Hi there,

I've gotten the QTPIE interaction to work with PBC using a custom-designed
shift function; the matrix elements are taken smoothly to zero at the cutoff
radius.  This ensures that there is no force discontinuity, which I've found
causes some artifacts in the dynamics and energy minimization.

Implementing the Ewald summation has been a bit problematic, because as you
said, there needs to be a pairwise decomposition of the electrostatic energy
in computing the matrix elements.  I think I have something that works, but
the forces aren't implemented yet, and it's expensive because it requires a
double loop in the k-space summation (the normal Ewald summation only needs
a single loop).  Hopefully, the shift function will perform well enough and
I won't worry so much about the Ewald summation.

I am trying to build the QTPIE forces into the "fshift" vector to get the
pressures right, but I don't have any way of telling whether my calculated
pressures are correct.  I suspect there is a problem, since the box keeps on
blowing up if I turn pressure coupling on, but I need some reference method
to compare against; how do you all make sure that the pressure is being
computed properly?  Do you simply repeat energy calculations at different
box sizes and compute the pressure by finite difference?

Thanks,

-          Lee-Ping