[gmx-developers] Re: help needed: static builds with cmake

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Thu Oct 28 21:00:23 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm confused how your two step plan works together.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se>wrote:

> 1) works fine, but referring to file extensions/endings might not be
> general enough. Making it more general/robust would require rewriting
> the way external libraries are treated: instead of adding them with
> full path we'd need to add -Lpath -llibname separately. However, this
> needs quite a bit more time than I have now...

I'm confused, is the later part ( -Lpath -llibname separately) part of the
2nd step below. Or not? Why does it take a lot of time?

> 2) Should work with the target property LINK_SEARCH_END_STATIC which
> essentially puts a -Wl,-Bstatic (for gcc on Linux, but it's supposed
> to work on many platforms) at the end of the final link call argument
> list.

If the later part of step 1 above has not been done, than how does it help
to set "-Wl,-Bstatic"? Does it use the static version even when you specify
the library file with the full path?

Roland

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309