[gmx-developers] Free Energy Calculation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Sep 2 03:34:43 CEST 2010

As a preface, please note that the development list is not the appropriate forum
for this question.  I am CC'ing this message to the gmx-users list.  Please post
any future questions there.

Emanuel Birru wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I am doing a partition coefficient of solute between 1-Octanol and water
> using gromacs ffG53a6 force field. The first thing I have done is to
> predict the Gibbs free energy of salvation of pentane (my solute) in
> 1-Octanol by thermodynamics integration method using 16 λ (lambda)
> values. The problem have stated on λ=0.6 and it is LINCS error which
> says as follows:
>
> Fatal error:
>
> Too many LINCS warnings (1001)
>
> If you know what you are doing you can adjust the lincs warning
> threshold in your mdp file or set the environment variable
> GMX_MAXCONSTRWARN to -1, but normally it is better to fix the problem
>
> The atoms that make the problem are pentane atoms.

And what parameters are you using for both pentane and octanol?  Have you
validated that they should otherwise run stably?  LINCS warnings usually come
from insufficient minimization and/or equilibration, i.e.:

http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#LINCS.2fSETTLE.2fSHAKE_warnings

> I have put the parameter file that I am using on this link
> http://hydra.pharm.monash.edu.au/md_project/production.txt
>

> After I got the error I have tried to run it again by changing the time
> step and the soft core value i.e sc_alpha and run three jobs independently
>
> 1.       With 1fs time step and sc_alpha = 1.51
>
> 2.       With 2fs time step changing sc_alpha to 0.5 and
>
> 3.       With 1fs time step and 0.5 sc_alpha
>
> The same problem happened for 2 and 3 but 1 works well, but the average
> dVpot/d λ is not what I expected, its >+7. I could not figure it out
> where exactly the problem is.

Regarding values for sc_alpha, there are some helpful tips and discussion in the
free energy tutorial, specifically in the section:

http://www.dillgroup.ucsf.edu/group/wiki/index.php?title=Free_Energy:_Tutorial#More_run_input_files

-Justin

> Thanks in advance for your advise.
>

> Cheers,