[gmx-developers] available contribution: loop over pull code

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 8 20:32:11 CEST 2010

Dear Gromacs Developers:

A colleague of mine, Pawel Pomorski working at Sharcnet Canada, has
modified gromacs version 4.0.5 to put a loop around the pull code.
This has made it possible to have multiple reference groups (each
reference group will multiple pulled groups). I have found this very
useful for my work and have thoroughly tested the code modifications.

We would like to get this code added to the main gromacs code for the
next release. I assume that Pawel would need to update the code
modifications to fit into the git master.

Before Pawel does this work, we would like to get some assurance that
the modification will be accepted (or not accepted) into the main
gromacs code. I already have a number of test cases that I used to
validate the modified 4.0.5 code and can run these on the new code as
well.

The purpose of this email is to ensure that Pawel doesn't end up doing
any work for naught. I can always continue to use the 4.0.5 version
that I have, but I think that this pull code modification will be
useful for many users.

In gromacs version <3.3.3, a loop over the pull code was easily
implemented in an hour or so. The situation was quite a bit more
complex in version 4.

Finally, Pawel has many responsibilities and may not be able to port
his modifications immediately. If he does, is it important that he
download the git master one night and submit his new code the next
day? the next week? the next month?

Thank you,
Chris.