[gmx-developers] One more correction for Amber FF

Igor Leontyev ileontyev at ucdavis.edu
Sun Apr 17 04:46:17 CEST 2011

The original parameters of TIP3P model published in JCP 79, 926 (1983) are:
sigma=3.15066 A, eps=0.15207 kcal
which is different from all mentioned above values. In fact, the slight
variation of TIP3P parameters across different force fields is known. As I
remember, in CHARMM it is also different. But I don't think that such little
variations can result in noticeable problems. There are much more
significant concerns regarding other parameters.

    For example, all non-polarizable force field use integer formal charges
for ions and ionized residues (e.g. +1 for Na+) such that interaction
between them q*q/r is treated as in vacuum. But it is well known that in the
condensed phase, relevant for biological applications, all particles are
surrounded by electrons of neighbors. The dielectric property of this
electronic jelly is measurable and is given by optic dielectric constant of
the material, with typical value Eps(opt)~2.  Thus, actual interactions
between ions obviously should be screened by the dielectric factor of 1/Eps
= 1/2 in respect to that in vacuum. But according to the conventional
non-polarizable concept all simulations disregard this fact, i.e.
overestimate interactions between ions as well as between ions and water . .
.

    Anyhow, it seems to be reasonable to have in gromacs parameters inherent
for a given force field in order to be able reproduce exactly the energies
calculated by native code.

Leontyev Igor