[gmx-developers] positive Coulomb LR potential for 100 A molecules system, A is positive molecules!

huzhongqiao at gmail.com huzhongqiao at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 08:02:49 CEST 2011

Dear all,

I am calculating the interaction between A and B, where A is positive
molecule, B is negative molecule. What I have done is as follows. First I
run MD for the system A+B, which consists of 100 A molecules and 100 B
molecules respectively, and the whole system is neutral. After MD, I exact
trajectory of only 100 A molecules and only 100 B molecules. So now I have
three trajectories, 100A, 100B, 100A+100B. Then I use -rerun flag in mdrun
command to get potential E of these three systems respectively. The
interaction dE between A and B is calculated using the equation dE =
E(100A+100B)-E(100A)-E(100B). The value obtained is seemingly reasonable.
But when I check the potential compoents, i.e, LJSR, CoulombSR, CoulombLR
(or Coul. recip.) terms, one problem is arising. I find the CoulombLR is
positive for system 100A. According to my understanding, A is positive and A
molecules are repulsive to each other, and so the system of 100 A molecules
should have positive CoulombLR potential. But mdrun -rerun for 100A system
give negative CoulombLR potential. In MD run, I used PME for coulomb LR
interadtion. Is this the reason? Anybody can help explain this?

Thanks in advance,

Zhongqiao Hu
Research Fellow
Dept of Chem Biomol Eng