[gmx-developers] Scaling velocities in Velocity Verlet

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Dec 3 21:22:33 CET 2011

Hi,

I'm implementing an algorithm where I change the potential energy Epot
on time t by an amount DE. In order to conserve total energy I would
like to change the kinetic energy Ekin by an amount -DE. This is done by
scaling the velocities at time t by lambda = sqrt(1-DE/Ekin).

The problem is that the change in Ekin comes one step too late. I tried
to deduce the algorithm from the code (4.5 code base) and deduced the
following MD algorithm:

v(t) = v(t-dt/2) + a(t) dt/2

v'(t) = lambda v(t)   <======= my addition

v(t+dt/2) = v'(t) + a(t) dt/2

r(t+dt) = r(t) + v(t+dt/2) dt

However, the Ekin that is printed is the uncorrected one even though I
scale both ekind->ekin and ekind->tcstat[x].ekinf .

Is the algorithm correct as I write it above? Is the Ekin(t) already
stored at the beginning of the time step?

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.