[gmx-developers] Reaction Filed crash!

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Sat Dec 17 22:42:32 CET 2011

I will try to clarify the situation a bit.
Pre-4.5 there were 4 approximation/errors in this typical "Gromos" setup
and a complicating factor:
1. Non-buffered pair-lists reused for nstlist-1 steps: no real Hamiltonian
2. Reaction-field with epsilon_rf<infinity: discontinuous energy and
force at cut-off
3. Twin-range interactions (or multiple time stepping) with 5*2=10 fs
for the forces
beyond 0.9 nm, but the reorientation of water only allows time steps up
to 5 fs
4. A non-reversible multiple time stepping scheme
5. A thermostat with strong coupling (pre-4.0 also Berendsen: one other
error)

Factors 1-4 cause serious integration errors in the long-range
electrostatics
which all lead to serious heating of the system, but different for water
and protein.
Factor 5 couples off this heat, but with such strong heating you no
longer know
what happening.

In version 4.5 I fixed factor 4. This takes out one source of error and
heating.
But as different errors affect different aspects/components differently,
it's very
difficult to tell what will happen.
Factors 1-3 can be fixed at a high computational cost (although 4.6
might help here).

My hypothesis is that factor 4 caused massive heating everywhere and
combined
with a strongly coupled thermostat, all effects a seriously dampened,
including those of 1-3.
Fixing factor 4 gives less heating, thus less thermostat coupling and
possibly less
uniform heating between water and protein (due to effects of 1-3 being
damped less),
causing hydrogens in the protein to overheat. But as there are so many
complicating factors,
it's difficult to find out what's really happening.
When I fixed factors 1-3, by different mdp settings, I get perfect
energy conservation in 4.5,
but that's at a high computational cost.

Cheers,

Berk