[gmx-developers] Reaction Filed crash!

baptista baptista at itqb.unl.pt
Mon Dec 19 02:22:10 CET 2011

 On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 16:29:30 +0100, David van der Spoel wrote:
> On 12/18/11 1:27 AM, baptista at itqb.unl.pt wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Dec 2011, Berk Hess wrote:
>>
>>> I will try to clarify the situation a bit.
>>> Pre-4.5 there were 4 approximation/errors in this typical "Gromos"
>>> setup
>>> and a complicating factor:
>>> 1. Non-buffered pair-lists reused for nstlist-1 steps: no real
>>> Hamiltonian
>>> 2. Reaction-field with epsilon_rf<infinity: discontinuous energy
> [...]
>>> electrostatics
>>> which all lead to serious heating of the system, but different for
>>> water and protein.
>>> Factor 5 couples off this heat, but with such strong heating you no
>>> longer know
>>> what happening.
>>>
>>> In version 4.5 I fixed factor 4. This takes out one source of error
>>> and heating.
>>> But as different errors affect different aspects/components
>>> differently, it's very
>>> difficult to tell what will happen.
>>> Factors 1-3 can be fixed at a high computational cost (although 4.6
>>> might help here).
>>>
>>> My hypothesis is that factor 4 caused massive heating everywhere
>>> and
>>> combined
>>> with a strongly coupled thermostat, all effects a seriously
>>> dampened,
>>> including those of 1-3.
>>> Fixing factor 4 gives less heating, thus less thermostat coupling
>>> and
>>> possibly less
>>> uniform heating between water and protein (due to effects of 1-3
>>> being
>>> damped less),
>>> causing hydrogens in the protein to overheat. But as there are so
>>> many
>>> complicating factors,
>>> it's difficult to find out what's really happening.
>>> When I fixed factors 1-3, by different mdp settings, I get perfect
>>> energy conservation in 4.5,
>>> but that's at a high computational cost.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Berk
>>
>> Thanks for clarifying the different factors involved. I see what you
>> mean. The relation between these factors is intricate and difficult
>> antecipate, and trying to fix one of them ended up making things
>> unstable when using some setups (such as ours).
>
> As I pointed out earlier, due to large inherent heating in your
> setup, the system becomes unstable, and one can delay the "fatal
> fluctuation" but not indefinitely.
>

>> You mention that 4.6 might help with factors 1-3. Does that mean
>> that
>> you are making further changes? Assuming that we decide to stick
>> with
>> our current setup, would you then advise us to stay with 4.0 for now
>> and wait for 4.6 to be released?
>
> If Berk has implemented these things correctly (which he usually
> does) 4.6 will make it more efficient to run with perfect energy
> conservation, but the inherent problems in your setup remain.
>
> What most likely "saved" you in previous versions, is the twin-range
> scheme (1) where the forces from far-away molecules are kept constant
> even though atoms may  have  moved out of the cut-off or into the
> cut-off.  In addition, the RF with epsilon < infinity in the original
> implementation has a minimum in the energy slightly beyond the
> cut-off. This may also improve stability.
>
> In summary: energy conservation is your friend!

 I totally agree! But realistic symmetry and boundary conditions (in its
 broadest sense) are also your friends, and I tend to regard them as
 crucial aspects in any physical model. So, I tend to follow them and
 hope that the heat bath takes care of the problems associated with the
 energy drift. But, as Michael rightly noted, even when that manages to
 avoid numerical unstabilities and crashes, it risks putting your system
 in a steady state. Choosing between friends it's not easy...