[gmx-developers] some notes on using redmine

Teemu Murtola teemu.murtola at cbr.su.se
Mon Jan 10 07:47:39 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 00:24, Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se> wrote:
> The problem is that either we have to assume that _every_ commit (at
> least in the master and release branches) is a bugfix or feature --

What else is there? :)  But seriously, every commit does have a reason
why it was made (e.g., working towards implementing a new feature),
and a recommendation/reminder (in a commit hook or somewhere else)
would remind the developer to think whether it would be appropriate to
create a Redmine issue, link the commit to an existing one, or just
leave things as they are.  There are cases where this would just be a
pain, so I don't think forcing the issue would be good.  The Task
issue type is also there for things that don't clearly fit either as a
bugfix or a new feature.  Linking commits to issues does serve a
useful purpose in making it easier to follow what is happening in a
subsystem.  But I agree; in the end it just comes down to developers'
discipline.

Teemu