[gmx-developers] electrostatic forces and domain decomposition

Dommert Florian dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Mon Jun 27 14:21:48 CEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 11:59 +1000, Mark Abraham wrote:
> On 27/06/2011 2:15 AM, Dommert Florian wrote:

> > > Now I did it again, but ended up with another result. The output of git
> > > bisect good was:
> > > 2e4f7f300a284690ef2ad60359f3d7e40653724c is the first bad commit ...
> > >
> > > /Flo
> > >
> > As I tested the "oviously" working version, it turned out, that the
> > results is of random behaviour. Though I turned off fftw-measurement and
> > used the -reprod flag of mdrun, the average maximum force has values
> > that arise randomly and are in an interval from 10^3 to 10^10. Also for
> > the code I considered as "working" this behaviour can be observed.
>
> I don't understand what version you regard as "obviously" working, or
> even working.
>
> The commits with hashes you have mentioned can't be causing such
> problems, so if you have used git bisect correctly, then the problem
> is actually not in the code.
>
> Are you saying that a range of versions of release-4-5-patches give
> you maximum force values up to 10^10? If so, please file a Redmine
> issue http://redmine.gromacs.org, where you can make suitable
> attachments.
>
> My suspicion is that you are experiencing some kind of linking error,
> perhaps between different available FFTW or GROMACS versions. Perhaps
> you can try static linking.

Hello,

I tried statically compiled builds, but the effect is still the same.
When I run mdrun different times I got strongly varying forces.
The reason, why git bisect did not work was that this effect occurs
completely random, if DD is used. As mentioned, for PD everything work
perfect. I will file a Redmine issue.

/Flo

EMail: dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de