[gmx-developers] Bug merging from release to master

mwolf at gwdg.de mwolf at gwdg.de
Thu Mar 10 11:44:38 CET 2011

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 11:10, David van der Spoel <spoel at
xray.bmc.uu.se> wrote:
>> can I still
>> git checkout master
>> git merge release-4-5-patches
>> after I fixed a bug in the release branch? (in the src/tools dir if that
>> matters).
>
> I think that at this point, it should still work fine as long as you
have > not

>  1. renamed files or created new ones
>  2. changed the build system
>  3. changed files that have been substantially modified in master
> (mostly this concerns certain files in the src/gmxlib/trajana/ or
src/gmxlib/selection/ directories)

> If you've done some of the above, you'll have to do some manual work,
> but the merge should still do most of the work for you as long as you
> have not renamed files.
>
> But with git, you can always try it out easily: just do
>  git checkout master
>  (git pull)
>  git merge --no-commit release-4-5-patchesrelease-4-5-patches
>  (resolve any possible conflicts that come from the above three
> points and check that it works)
>  git commit (-a)
> If the merge creates a big mess, you can always do
>  git reset --hard HEAD
> to get back where you started from, and think of other courses of action.
>
> Teemu

I want to merge release-4-5-patches and master after a bugfix. I get
conflicts that are not related to my changes. If I understand the
discussion correct this comes from the code movement that has happened in
master.
I am not sure what to do next. Can I make a commit to the
release-4-5-patches only. But that will probably create conflicts in the
future. Does anybody have a suggestion?

Best Regards,
Maarten

--
Dr. Maarten Wolf
Max-Planck-Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
Email: mwolf at gwdg.de