[gmx-developers] Implementing a new type of VdW interaction

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri May 6 14:37:09 CEST 2011

On 6/05/2011 9:55 PM, Lee-Ping Wang wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>
>> If you've only got your modified form, then what's the problem with
> letting grompp do the combining? With or without a new VDW ifunc type?
>
> I do let grompp do the combining; that is, grompp does pass the combined
> parameters into mdrun.  Essentially I want to use the "combination_rule"
> integer for differentiating between two functional forms within the same
> ifunc.

Why is such differentiation necessary? On what basis are some
interactions going to do one thing, and others another?

>> Defining a new interaction type is easy. Crafting combination rule
> machinery into mdrun when it's already found in grompp is hard. See the
> files I pointed out.
>
> Implementing a new ifunc is intrinsically not hard, I agree.  However, the
> "BHAM" ifunc is a bit unusual and if statements like "if (fr->bBHAM)" appear
> everywhere in the code.  I thought it would be easier to use the existing
> "BHAM" ifunc, and use the combination_rule to trigger the new functional
> form.

No, because that's a barrier to high performance. The kernels other than
the generic one are all hard-coded for a particular icoul and ivdw, and
the neighbour lists are constructed to use a matching kernel. This is
because branching when testing for the value of some integer in inner
loops leads to terrible performance. nb_generic does such tests, but
it's intended as a test bed for ideas, and/or reference code, not to run
fast. Once the usefulness of a new ifunc -> ivdw type is demonstrated
there, now it becomes reasonable to consider making it work fast, and
accordingly you don't want to have to re-engineer the whole solution. So
use a new ivdw and ifunc. Yes, you'll be doing similar things when
fr->bBHAM is checked, but the performance and coding cost for testing
fr->bYourBHAM where appropriate is negligible. Maybe only code that
deals with setting and testing ivdw has to care that there are now two
Buckingham-like interaction types.

> I will look into implementing a new ifunc, all the same.  It should be
> reasonable to turn on fr->bBHAM with more than one ifunc.  Maybe in the end
> it will be the more natural solution. :)

Mark