[gmx-developers] cmake gromacs manual

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu May 12 16:48:26 CEST 2011

On 13/05/2011 12:05 AM, Szilárd Páll wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I am trying to make the Gromacs manual, but I don't understand a cmake
>> error.
>> What does "built out of source" mean? Which source?
>> And I don't know what to set LATEX_OUTPUT_PATH to.
> Out of source normally means that the directory from where you issue
> cmake and where the build tree is generated is different from your
> source tree, for instance:
> source tree: ~/gromacs-4.5
> build tree:   ~/gromacs-4.5-build

A subdirectory of the source tree is sufficiently "out of tree" for
CMake, and this makes organization much simpler. Now all your build
trees are inside the source tree and don't need to be named to reflect
the source version.

> I've never built the manual with CMake, so I'm not completely sure
> that this is the final solution.

I ported the manual to CMake a month or so back, and I updated the
manual README to describe the necessary steps. Hopefully I did a good
enough job. With a proper out-of-source build (which is always
encouraged/required for CMake) you do not need to set LATEX_OUTPUT_PATH.

Mark