[gmx-developers] Hacking assembly nb_kernel

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed May 25 02:40:20 CEST 2011

On 20/05/2011 5:20 PM, Igor Leontyev wrote:
> Where can I learn how to hack assembler optimized nb_kernel routines?
> I want
> 1) Extract an electric component of force (without vdW)

This is not easy to do efficiently. Computing 1/r should be done only
once, and so you need to write out intermediate forces. There is a
"user" pointer in the kernels that you could use to pass in a buffer for
the non-VDW component of forces (constructed as for the normal force
array). I'd strongly advise reverse-engineering how the
solvent-optimized and non-solvent-optimized assembly kernels work first,
to see how the modification should work, and then implementing the
"electric force buffer" approach in the generic routine. Only once the
supporting machinery is working should you touch the assembly kernels.
Then you'll have to run a heck of a lot of simulations to make this
worthwhile.

> 2) Allow SPC optimized routines to accept different charges for
> separate water molecules.

You will lose some performance because now the routines have to look up
the charges for each water molecule (or you have to construct different
neighbour lists for sets of differently-changed molecules, and expand
the "optimized solvent" recognition scheme). You can estimate how much
by just turning off the solvent optimization with the right environment
variable (see src/gmxlib/nonbonded.c). There is some value from the
solvent-optimized kernels knowing in advance that there are only three
atoms per molecule, but I don't know the relative importance of this and
not having to look up new parameters for each molecule.

Mark