[gmx-developers] will united-atom POPC forcefield mater in pH 4

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sat Sep 3 17:37:37 CEST 2011

Zhijun:

This is a question for the gmx-users list, so I will address it there.
Please keep this type of question on the users list.

> 1.Are hydrogen ion H+ probably bind to POPC's phosphate O atom when
> I randomly assign it?

That sounds a lot like something that you can test. Na+ ions do not
form long-lived interactions like this during simulation (spending
much more time in bulk water than in particular interactions with
individual lipids), so I doubt it.

> 2.Will hydrogen ion (so small) channel the POPC lipid, while a
> full-atom is not?

Your question is not well formed. Do you mean "will the hydrogen ion
pass between the lipids, across the bilayer in united-atom but not
all-atom simulations"?

Again, that sounds like something that you can test. It would
eventually cross both types of bilayers (in the limit of infinite
simulations) but no, I doubt that you would observe this in obtainable
simulation timescales.

Chris.