[gmx-developers] FW: Questions - cutoff in thebondingpotentialandediting the replica exchange function

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Apr 1 00:57:09 CEST 2012

On 31/03/2012 7:26 PM, Asaf Farhi wrote:
> Dear Mark
> Thank you very much for the reply!
> I read 6.7, about coulombtype =Cut-off, and wanted to ask if it means:
>
> if (V<Ecutoff)
>     V=0;
> or
> if (V>Ecutoff)
>     V=Ecutoff;
>
> I need the second one and I didn't manage to understand which one is it.

The first one is implemented, though it is usually phrased as (r >
r_cutoff) => (V=0), since a Coulomb potential has V->0 as r->inf. You
have to use some kind of a cut-off, as the number of interactions you
have to compute grows with dvolume/d(r_cutoff), i.e. as (r_cutoff)^2.

For normal MD the value of V at any point is irrelevant, because only
the forces appear in the equations of motion. The value of (some
components of) V might appear in the RE equations, but only if they
don't cancel out for candidate exchange pairs in the subtraction of the
exchange test does the value of V past the cutoff become relevant.

Mark