[gmx-developers] Problems building for OS X with threads

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Sun Apr 1 15:05:03 CEST 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 6:20 AM, David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>wrote:

> On 2012-04-01 05:50, Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) wrote:
> > Hi, all-
> >
> > I'm very recently (with 4.6 updates in the last couple of weeks) having
> > issues with building gromacs with threads on OS X.  When I try to compile
> > with shared libraries, I get:
> >
> > ld: warning: in /usr/local/lib/libgomp.dylib, file was built for i386
> which
> > is not the architecture being linked (x86_64)
> >
> > When I build without shared libraries, it compiles, but crashes when run
> > with -nt more than 1.
> >
> > Currently using OS X 10.6.8, gcc 4.1.2 to compile.
> >
> > Everything works fine with 4.5.5, and with earlier versions of 4.6.
> >
> > Anyone else having similar problems, or know what changes could have
> caused
> > this?
>
> There is a redmine for this (900).

Michael's issue is a different because it is gcc 4.1.2 and because it is
not a segfault but the linker errorr.
I'm surprised that you get a linker error. gcc 4.1 doesn't support OpenMP
and if run cmake with gcc 4.1 on Linux I get:
Could NOT find OpenMP (missing: OpenMP_C_FLAGS OpenMP_CXX_FLAGS)

If you rerun cmake (without a cache), do you still not get any error during
cmake?

BTW: We probably should automatic disable OpenMP if the flags can't be
found (e.g. for clang and gcc <4.2)

Roland

> Your simplest solution is cmake -DGMX_OPENMP:BOOL=OFF
>

> > Thanks!
> > Michael Shirts
> > Assistant Professor
> > Department of Chemical Engineering
> > University of Virginia
> > michael.shirts at virginia.edu
> > (434)-243-1821

> Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:  +46184714205.
> spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se    http://folding.bmc.uu.se

865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309