[gmx-developers] MPI Datatypes and TMPI

Peter Kasson kasson at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 5 14:05:16 CEST 2012

tMPI gives a solution that is relatively robust, lightweight, and
portable.  The reason we wrote it was that MPICH & OpenMPI, at least
at the time, were difficult to bundle, introduced an extremely large
codebase (in the case of OpenMPI), and had portability and firewall
configuration issues on platforms such as Windows.  I would be
extremely reluctant to abandon tMPI unless we can address these issues
well, and I think doing so will be non-trivial.

Best,
--Peter