[gmx-developers] Strange default group behavior

Jochen Hub jhub at gwdg.de
Tue Aug 21 12:48:13 CEST 2012

Am 8/21/12 11:33 AM, schrieb Justin Lemkul:

> On 8/21/12 5:11 AM, Jochen Hub wrote:

>>> It's probably related to this issue:
>>>
>>> http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/490
>>>
>>> Perhaps we need to re-open that one rather than start a new issue
>>> report.  I have always thought that the multiple groups was somewhat
>>> inconvenient, but never had an error arise from it.  I'm assuming you're
>>> only selecting one group when prompted?  The groups are redundant, but
>>> in theory, you can fill any index file with junk numbers with whatever
>>> names and you can select any viable group.
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't really understand "only selecting one group when prompted?"
>> here. It
>> seems that Gromacs does not allow the selection of a group using the
>> group name
>> *if* several groups have the same name.
>>
>> If the groups would "only" be redundant the double groups would not be a
>> problem. The problem is that the group selection does not work
>> properly this way.
>>

> I see the problem now.  Can you select the desired group by its number
> rather than its name?  That should be a viable workaround while waiting
> for a fix.

Yes, the number works (and one can pick it with a few extra lines in a
script). So as you said, this is a viable workaround.

Jochen

Dr. Jochen Hub
Computational Molecular Biophysics Group
Institute for Microbiology and Genetics
Georg-August-University of Göttingen
Justus-von-Liebig-Weg 11, 37077 Göttingen, Germany.
Phone: +49-551-39-14189
http://cmb.bio.uni-goettingen.de/