[gmx-developers] source tree is git repository check

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Thu Aug 30 16:18:35 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Roland Schulz <roland at utk.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Commit 26bd5f7 added a the admin/.isreposource file to distinguish git
>> and non-git source trees. As far as I know git repositories will
>> always contain the .git directory, so I think it is enough to check
>> the existence of this (as it is done in
>> cmake/gmxGenerateVersionInfo.cmake).
>>
>> Is there any strong reason for having an extra file for this simple check?
>
> Yes. If you download the source as archive (e.g. from github) you will get
> the source not from cpack but it won't contain .git. We want to distinguish
> with this file whether the source is directly from the git sources without
> having been processed by cpack. That's why this file is required.

Not trying to flame, but we have almost a half dozen ways to just get
the Gromacs source (direct access to git server, gerrit, nightly
source, repo.or.cz, github, etc.) and we shouldn't have to deal with
such corner cases as github source archive, I think

Otherwise, +/-1 file doesn't matter much, but I'm not sure that it's
worth having it just for the sake of the combination of (anyway buggy
and proposed to be reverted) man page generation feature + github
source archive.

--
Szilárd