[gmx-developers] Gromacs trying to use OpenMP instead of thread-mpi despite trying to convince it?

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Mon Dec 3 19:02:13 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 5:12 AM, Roland Schulz <roland at utk.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) <
> mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:
>
>> So, more progress, but no simulations running yet.
>>
>> mdrun -nt 8 -ntmpi 8 gives the same error as before (I actually tried that
>> before, and forgot to include it in my error report)
>>
>> mdrun -ntmpi 8 -ntomp 1 gives the error
>> Fatal error:
>> OMP_NUM_THREADS (8) and the number of threads requested on the command
>> line
>> (1) have different values
>> For more information and tips for troubleshooting, please check the
>> GROMACS
>> website at http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors
>>

> We probably should print a notice that OMP_NUM_THREADS is set. Otherwise
> this is really confusing if OMP_NUM_THREADS isn't set by the user but by
> the system.

There is a note printed whenever the number of OpenMP threads is set by
OMP_NUM_THREADS instead of -ntomp.

>> Fatal error:
>> OMP_NUM_THREADS is invalid: '0'
>>

> This is also for ntomp. Also there you wand to use 1 not 0 to disable
> OpenMP (1 because it is total number of threads and thus 1 means serial).
>

>> /var/spool/PBS/mom_priv/jobs/2053253.lc5.itc.virginia.edu.SC: line 22:
>> 12201
>> Illegal instruction     /h3/n1/shirtsgroup/gromac
>> s_46/install/bin/mdrun_d -ntomp 1 -ntmpi -8 -deffnm
>> /bigtmp/mrs5pt/eth.vrescale.50
>>

> I suppose the CPU on the compute node is different from the build host.
> You need to change GMX_CPU_ACCELERATION to the one correct for the compute
> node. It could also help to set GMX_DISTRIBUTABLE_BUILD (both are cmake
> options).

GMX_DISTRIBUTABLE_BUILD only does one thing, it turns off rdtscp. Is the
intention to provide more features for this option? If not, I don't see the
point in not calling it GMX_DISABLE_RDTSCP.

Szilárd