[gmx-developers] FW: Gromacs quotes

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Mon Dec 17 14:13:54 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Anton Feenstra <k.a.feenstra at vu.nl> wrote:

> Is this why we used to have the 'Explicit content' on the cover of the
> manual ;-)
>
> Don't forget the acronyms (bromacs.dat iirc); there is one I put there
> with something about Russians and opium that should probably be taken out
> too.
>
> FWIW, 'children' refers to child processes, not living (human) beings. It
> did seem funny when I put it in so many years ago, but humour depends so
> much on context, I agree more caution is needed here.
>
> I do think we should not get too 'politically correct' about this - just
> free speech but sensitive about other peoples sensitivities.
> If we "eliminate any quotes that can be seen as objectionable" I think
> that could become way too strict.

I agree!

I have the feeling that there is a trend forming which shows signs of
hysteric political correctness leading to self-censorship. I'm afraid that
eager volunteers will use all their fantasy to find discrimination, sexism,
racism, or other popular PC-ness topics and that's something that IMHO we
should not allow.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the very few *obviously* misfiring and
*way too easily* misinterpreted quotes or acronyms should not be kept.
However, I feel like I have to be vocal and disagree with the "just in
case, let's remove stuff" trend before we end up e.g with "he/she" ->
"she/he" or other gender-neutral PC-ness abominations.

Szilárd