[gmx-developers] FW: Gromacs quotes

Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Dec 19 15:04:55 CET 2012

Just because one should be allowed to say something doesn't mean its a wise
thing to say it.  To take it to the extreme, if the quotes consisted of a
string of expletives-laden insults, then one could understand how users
might feel uncomfortable, and it would drive users away for no realistic
purpose (at least, no purpose related to science).

Self-censorship CAN be the worst kind of censorship, but filtering out what
speech has the desired result and what speech is counterproductive is what
allows people to actually interact with each other in a civil manner. It's a
matter of whether one chooses not to say something out of fear, or because
it's a counterproductive thing to say.

Best,
Michael Shirts
Assistant Professor