[gmx-developers] Whitespace

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Sun Dec 30 03:13:07 CET 2012

Hi,

we should decide what to do with whitespaces before the 4.6. release. The
reason for the timing is that, it would make merging patches between 4.6
and master easier if we fix all whitespaces the same for the 4.6 and master
branch. Erik would prefer not to do it after 4.6 so that we don't change
most lines between 4.6 and 4.6.1. Also we probably don't have too many
development branches at the moment, causing less problems if we do it now.

The discussion is at http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/845 and a suggested
solution is at: https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/1680/

The patch is for master so that one can see also new (C++) files in master,
but as written above, this change would also be applied to 4.6.

Open questions:
- Do we want to make the change now before the 4.6. release?
- Do we want to use an automatic tool to fix whitespaces at all?
- Do we want to use uncrustify or some other tool?
- Do we want to use the suggested uncrustify configuration?
- Should all files or only the badly formated files be part of the intial
fixup?
- Should it be optional or required to run the tool after the initial fixup?
- Should the tool be run automatically by Jenkins?

Roland
865-241-1537, ORNL PO BOX 2008 MS6309