[gmx-developers] Monte Carlo Simulations

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Wed Feb 1 09:38:30 CET 2012

Hi,

Just plugging in our work, since I believe it will be relevant ;-)
(and my apologies if it turns out not so)

A post-doc in our group, René Pool, has implemented a grand-canonical
Monte Carlo scheme using the GromPy gromacs-python interface. It is
based on library calls to the gromacs md engine from python, and
therefore can be very flexible. In our tests, it is just about as
efficient as a fully gromacs-internal implementation could be (i.e., the
overhead due to python etc, it only a few percent).

There is an open source repo for GromPy
at gitub: https://github.com/GromPy

There's a paper coming out in JCC soon, describing the interface and its
performance in calculating the critical properties of a LJ system and of
SPC water:
Enabling Grand-Canonical Monte Carlo: Extending the Flexibility of
GROMACS Through the GromPy Python Interface Module
René Pool, Jaap Heringa, Martin Hoefling, Roland Schulz, Jeremy C.
Smith, and K. Anton Feenstra

René, is the paper far enough along that we can send people the manuscript?

You may search this list for other posts on this work.

--
Groetjes,

Anton
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Free University  Amsterdam     |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083A - 1081 HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P136 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "Your Country Raised You, Your Country Fed You, and   |
|             | Just Like Any Other Country it Will Break You" (Gogol |
|             | Bordello)                                             |