[gmx-developers] RFC: Dropping FFTW2 support in 4.6 ?

Christoph Junghans junghans at votca.org
Thu Feb 16 01:06:26 CET 2012

Am 2. Februar 2012 17:34 schrieb Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>:
> On 3/02/2012 11:26 AM, Christoph Junghans wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I just realized that the FindFFTW2.cmake module is broken for a long
>> time.(syntax error in line 26)
>> I could go and fix it, but do we really want to keep fftw2 support in
>> Gromacs 4.6?
>>
>> FFTW2 does not work with threads and is obviously untested for 4.6 !
>>
>> Comments?
>

> I suggest we drop it. I suspect we offered support for both fftw2 and fftw3
> at one stage because fftw2 had some parallel transforms that were used back
> then. We don't use them any more, I understand. So I don't see any value in
> support for fftw2.
This is now change set 495.
<https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/495/>

Szilárd pointed out that ACML support is also disabled. Should we
reactive it or remove it as well?

There are some versions of FindACML.cmake around the net, which would
make the ACML support work again, but I havn't had the chance to test
them. (I am also lacking an AMD machine.)

Comments?

Christoph

--
Christoph Junghans