[gmx-developers] Creating new branch off master

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Feb 16 17:04:47 CET 2012

On 16/02/2012 10:08 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:
> Since master is managed through gerrit, does it mean that creating a
> new branch also should be done through gerrit? Or can we use vanilla
> git repository to do this?

Branches are just labels for commits in your repo. So you can branch
locally to your heart's content, and if/when it makes sense to have a
feature branch under gerrit control, that can be sorted out at the time.
Do use git rebase for keeping in sync with the upstream repo, to save
yourself pain later.