[gmx-developers] calculating poteintial energy into do_md()

Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Jul 16 14:18:32 CEST 2012

> Actually I did it but I the performance decrease a lot (2x).
> In particular I run the same run with free_energy  = yes and free_energy =
> no and in the second case the run is 2times faster.
> I found in the mailing list that this performance drop is known.

What are the particular parameters you are trying to change?  I wrote the
new Hamiltonian Exchange code, so I'm interested in making sure it's as
useful as possible.  There might be some cases where this performance drop
can be avoided, and   It's likely the PME parameters, since doing repeated
that's the only thing that really makes free energy slow.

UNLESS of course you are changing ALL of the atoms, which which case all of
them will go through the free energy code, and it certainly will be slower.
There are some possible ways to fix this, but that will not be until 5.0.

Best,
Michael Shirts
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering