[gmx-developers] calculating poteintial energy into do_md()

Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt) mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Jul 16 16:42:21 CEST 2012

One question, since better REST2 is one item on the todo list for 5.0, and I
want to be thinking about the possibilities.

For solute-solvent energy rescaling, how does one calculate the changes in
solute-solvent energy without doing multiple PME calls to decompose the
electrostatic energy?

I'm guessing that by since your are load multiple topologies of the system,
for each of those topologies, you can explicitly write new nonbonded
pairwise parameter terms between the water and protein.  This is a pain to
do (need new ij terms for every parameter pair) but straightforward in the
end to automate.  Is this how your are planning to do it?

Without PME, then it's straightforward to decompose into solute-solvent
energy / solute-solute / solvent-solvent electrostatics, though for adding
long term to Gromacs, we'd want to support PME.

Best,
Michael Shirts
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemical Engineering