[gmx-developers] Mails rejected with "The message's content type was not explicitly allowed"

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Jul 20 00:56:47 CEST 2012

On 5/07/2012 11:24 PM, Rossen Apostolov wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Recently the Gromacs mailing lists have been used for sending spam and
> viruses, and thus now only plain text messages are accepted.
>
> If you have received rejected mails saying "The message's content type
> was not explicitly allowed" it means that you have used in your mail
> special styles or formatting (e.g. bold typeface, colors etc.).
>
> Check your email client settings about how to send messages as plain
> text, e.g. in GMail make sure to click on "Compose -> Plain Text".
> Check also whether a formatted signature is added.
>
> Attachments are also not allowed but you could include links for
> downloads.
>
> Rossen

Bump.

I'm happy banning attachments (there's lots of free upload space out
there), but think that explicitly requiring plain text email is a
significant barrier to participation. Some web mail clients don't permit
a non-HTML mime type - that's not our fault but we have to live in that
jungle. Some people will walk away without bothering to find out if they
can configure plain text email. Others will judge the technical
competence of the team on their ability to run the mailing list. If we
need to outsource it somewhere, we should do that.