[gmx-developers] gromacs @ AMD Interlagos

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue May 1 09:19:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

we have done some very preliminary benchmarks on AMD Interlagos nodes, 4
CPUs with 12 cores each. After hearing a report that in fact on these
machines 2 cores share an FPU and a SSE unit, a colleague tested a
simple protein in water:

... after a short 1 ns test run, the 24 (2x12) core solution
outperformed the 48 core one (16.3 ns/day vs. 1.4 ns/day). Restraint on
protein heavy atoms, NVT, waters mobile, ca. 38000 atoms.

Can anyone confirm this result? It seems excessive to me.

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.