[gmx-developers] Wrong Ouput from g_density - PBC bug?

Juan M. Vanegas juan.manuel.vanegas at upc.edu
Thu May 17 10:36:52 CEST 2012

Dear gmx-developers,

There is a problem with the output from g_density (4.5.5). If I take a
200 ns trajectory of a membrane simulation in water I get different
results depending on how much of the trajectory I analyze. If I use the
whole 200 ns, I get very different results than if I use only 100 ns or
a 50 ns section. The main difference is that the water density is lowest
in the 200 ns analysis and highest in the 50 ns. It seems that the
problem has to do with molecules that diffuse out of the box, which
explains why you only see a difference in the water density and not on
the membrane. If I comment out the following line in
src/tools/gmx_density.c (line 281):

gmx_rmpbc(gpbc,natoms,box,x0);

Then the problem goes away and the density of water is the same no
matter how much of the trajectory I analyze. Cheers,

--
Juan M. Vanegas
Postdoctoral Researcher