[gmx-developers] how to retrieve the electrostatic potential from pme?

Gerrit Groenhof ggroenh at gwdg.de
Wed May 30 10:36:26 CEST 2012

  Hi Berk,

> Hi,
>
> From what you write I seems to be much simpler.
>
> If you have charges for the qm atoms you can simply do PME as usual,
> you would only need to subtract the interactions between the qm atoms,
> which would be done in the same way as normal exclusions.
> Or am I missing something?

Maybe, but I am nor sure myself.

If I simply use gmx_pme_do, I won't get the potential at the atoms this
way, only the forces I think.

We need to add to the QM hamiltonian terms like
\frac{1}{2}S_{\mu\nu}^{AB}*(V(R_A)+V(R_B)), where \mu and \nu are
basisfunctions located on atom A and B. V(R) is the electrostatic
potential due to the MM atoms, as well as the QM atoms's own periodic images
S is an overlap integral, and R_A/B the position of the atoms. A and B
can be the same.

Gerrit