[gmx-developers] how to retrieve the electrostatic potential from pme?

Gerrit Groenhof ggroenh at gwdg.de
Wed May 30 11:01:49 CEST 2012

> gather_energy_bspline get you the energy at a position of a charge.
> If you need it at an arbitrary location in space, that can be implemented easily.
>
> But I don't see why you would need the periodic image interactions between QM atom alone.
> That doesn't make much sense. Periodic interactions are strongly screened by all the other atoms.
> As all electrostatic interactions are strongly coupled, one can not single out some contribution and
> apply corrections to that alone.

I agree, but I am not singling out a contribution here. I'll try to explain what I want to do. There may well be a flaw in our thinking:

For this specific QM methods self-consistent charge DFTB one varies the charges on the atoms variationally. Thus in the SCF cycle, one starts with a set of guess charges on the atoms, and constructs the fock matrix with all one and two electron integrals. Most of these are parameters.

However, the interaction with the environment, in a periodic system, should include the interaction of the QM atoms with their own periodic images.

(This is similar to bonded interactions. The atoms see their bonding partners inside a box via the bonded potential, but interaction with the periodic images of themselves and their bonding partners via the coulomb interactions.)

Then, if we have the potential at the sites of the QM atoms, we diagonilze the fock matrix to get the molecular orbitals. However, with these new orbitals we get changes in the QM charges (and electronic integrals), so that we need to construct the fock matrix again. The electrostatic term should be updated as well, as the charges on the QM atoms in the periodic images have changed.

After reaching the variational minimum, we still would need to compute the QM/MM forces, and these I thought we get from a normal pme call with the final charges.

best,

Gerrit