[gmx-developers] Re: /usr/lib/libmd.so collision

Christoph Junghans junghans at votca.org
Wed May 30 18:49:18 CEST 2012

2012/5/30 Peter Kasson <kasson at gmail.com>:
> I'd vote against changing library names for 4.6 on two grounds:
> 1--too close to the release.
I tend to disagree. The beta release is not even out yet and at least
2 big new features need to be merged before that.

This change is really minor:
<https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/1055/>
and people will anyway need to adapt their old programs a bit to make
it work with 4.6 and replacing -lmd by -lgmxmd will not add much.
In most case I have seen so far people have used libgmx and not libmd.

> 2--default installation is /usr/local/gromacs/lib rather than /usr/lib.
This argument is only half true. As soon as gromacs 4.6 is released,
it will get packaged and hence end up in /usr/lib. So we just move the
complication to the maintainers, which can lead to a zoo of renaming
in every distribution (see g_ renaming of all binaries in Fedora). Or
it will lead to a blocker with FreeBSD userland, which is also not
nice.

Cheers,

Christoph

--