[gmx-developers] Simulation of net-charged systems in gmx

Felipe Pineda, PhD luis.pinedadecastro at lnu.se
Mon Nov 12 13:08:07 CET 2012

Hi!

thanks for commenting. The authors address both the pressure and the
free-energy artifacts due to the neutralizing plasma/background charge
in PME simulations. So the pressure artifact was also considered in the
protein example, and the proposed correction was able to significantly
decrease both.

In the meantime I am aware of the artifacts you mention and I assume you
are right and better suited than me to assess the advantages of such a
correction. I only would like to simulate a charged, hydrated membrane
system if there is no objections against that from a theoretical point
of view (to find this out was the original goal of these postings), and
if there is a corresponding implementation in Gromacs, what is not the
case. Therefore I will add counter ions or otherwise neutralize the
system, as usual. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have an ion-free
reference state to compare with systems containing salt and so better
assess the effect of the ions.

Best,

Felipe

--