[gmx-developers] Gromacs 4.6 on an inhomogeneous cluster

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Mon Oct 29 14:51:53 CET 2012

Hi,

Compiling in GPU functionality has no effect on performance.
We have never timed the effect of compiling in MPI and OpenMP,
but I would expect it to be very small, probably less than 1%.
But it would be good to try that once on a small system.
Note that pure OpenMP can be much faster than MPI.

The difference in performance between SSE2 and SSE4.1 is minor,
less than 5% (AVX is a lot faster though).
So I think you can use a single installation.

Cheers,

Berk