[gmx-developers] Problems with artificial minima when using soft-core potentials

Berk Hess hess at kth.se
Mon Sep 3 15:05:30 CEST 2012

Hi,

I introduced identical scaling of for LJ and electrostatics in Gromacs
more than a decade ago
exactly to avoid issues of double minima which arose with the Gromos
setup where the electrostatics
were soft-cored with r^2 with a second alpha parameter.
When creating (unphysical) paths between states it's difficult to avoid
additional minima at intermediate states.
A few years ago we noticed such issues with force fields that have H's
with small sigma's for which
For that I introduced a simple fix. In general it is advisable to
decouple electrostatics and LJ separately, which
avoids the issue. With the above mentioned fix, we haven't had much
problems and I haven't heard about
issues recently from other groups.

Can you provide more details about such minima?

Cheers,

Berk