[gmx-developers] Oversubscribing on 4.62 with MPI / OpenMP

Jochen Hub jhub at gwdg.de
Thu Apr 25 09:37:11 CEST 2013

Am 4/24/13 9:53 PM, schrieb Mark Abraham:
> I suspect -np 2 is not starting a process on each node like I suspect
> you think it should, because all the symptoms are consistent with that.
> Possibly the Host field in the .log file output is diagnostic here.
> Check how your your MPI configuration works.

I fixed the issue with the mpi call. I make sure, that only one MPI
process is started per node (mpiexec -n 2 -npernode=1 or -bynode) . The
oversubscription warning does not appear, so everything seems fine.

However, the performance is quite poor with MPI/OpenMP. Example:

(100 kAtoms, PME, Verlet, cutoffs at 1nm nstlist=10)

16 MPI processes: 6.8 ns/day
2 MPI processes, 8 OpenMP threads pre MPI process: 4.46 ns/day
4 MPI / 4 OpenMP each does not improve things.

I use an icc13, and I tried different MPI implementations (Mvapich 1.8,
openmpi 1.33)

Is that expected?

Many thanks,
Jochen