[gmx-developers] Oversubscribing on 4.62 with MPI / OpenMP

Jochen Hub jhub at gwdg.de
Sun Apr 28 11:06:04 CEST 2013

Am 4/25/13 2:09 PM, schrieb Berk Hess:
> Hi,
>
> This question is of general use, so it should have been posted to
> gmx-users.
>
> Szilard correctly me that sometimes hybrid parallelization can actually
> be faster,
> especially with Intel.

Do you (or does Sziliard) recall on which Intel machines you observed
OpenMP threads that are faster than MPI processes? I ask since the
OpenMP parallelization was 34% (!) slower on the somewhat outdated
Harpertowns that I tested. (see my past post, 100k Atoms on 2 8-core nodes).

Cheers,
Jochen

> I will make add a table with the possible parallelization combinations
> to the acc.+par. page,
> with links to a benchmark page, where we put up some comparisons.
> To do this, we need the force calculation order patch, currently waiting
> in gerrit,
> which will improve the performance without PME nodes.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Berk
>
> On 04/25/2013 10:03 AM, Jochen Hub wrote:
>> Many thanks, Berk, for clarifying this.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jochen
>>
>> Am 4/25/13 9:52 AM, schrieb hess at kth.se:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It allows for further scaling, when the domain decomposition is limiting
>>> the number of MPI ranks.
>>> It can be faster, especially on hundreds of cores.
>>> We need it with GPUs.
>>> OpenMP alone can be significantly faster than MPI alone.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Berk

Dr. Jochen Hub
Computational Molecular Biophysics Group
Institute for Microbiology and Genetics
Georg-August-University of Göttingen
Justus-von-Liebig-Weg 11, 37077 Göttingen, Germany.
Phone: +49-551-39-14189
http://cmb.bio.uni-goettingen.de/