[gmx-developers] How can use GROMACS into applications - Better way

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 10:04:00 CEST 2013

Hi,

Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, there's never really been a
callable API for GROMACS. The core team has always prioritized higher
performance and new features over facilitating third-party code re-use
- manpower resources are limiting. There's hope we can improve this in
the future during the C++ transition... e.g.
http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/988,
http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1140.

In particular, http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1170 suggests being
able to remove the "middle man" of writing a .tpr file. It sounds like
your use case would be streamlined a lot if it were possible to pass
"grompp" whatever inputs are easily constructed by your code, and the
output of "grompp" are data structures ready for "mdrun." mdrun in 5.0
might support this already, which would be useful for you, but not yet
ideal.

If you'd like to contribute, that would be fantastic. A sketch in
http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/1140 of a series of hypothetical
function calls you'd like to make in order to execute your workflow
would be a great start. Having an external need described should help
us prioritise what we can do.