[gmx-developers] implicit solvent free energy

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 01:48:06 CEST 2013

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Shirts, Michael (mrs5pt)
<mrs5pt at eservices.virginia.edu> wrote:
> Hi, guys-
>
> I think that GB can be useful for many approximate things.  I'm happy to
> help interface the free energy part, once the rest is working.

C all-vs-all kernels work. Otherwise, GB requires PD, which is already
slated for removal. I don't imagine there's huge enthusiasm for
implementing GB+DD for the multi-domain case, so the best
non-all-vs-all scenario might be single-domain. Short term probably
single core, maybe OpenMP when someone is prepared to make that
happen.

When I rip out PD in a couple of weeks, I will be looking to make
single-core single-domain GB no worse than it is now. Right now, I
don't know how bad that is ;-)

> I agree that parallelization is the biggest issue for long term support.  My
> feeling is that single core GB will be pretty straightforward to get working
> again.  The question of how useful single core in.  One application of
> implicit solvent methods for large systems in general is aggregation and
> encounter processes, since simulating large amounts of water to support 10's
> of small peptides is rather inefficient.   These sorts of problems seem like
> they would easier to parallelize.
>
> For free energies, I would probably recommend that the GB can be combined
> with free energies entirely through charge scaling.  This way, there's no
> need to modify the inner loops at all.  I can help work through other
> details.

That sounds like something Berk said at lunch this week.

Mark