[gmx-developers] new 64-bit int support and MPI

Jeff Hammond jeff.science at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 16:11:34 CET 2013

MPI_INT64_T is what you use to send messages containing that C99 type. The MPI_LONG_LONG type should be supported prior to MPI-2.2 (sorry, I am not at my desk and cannot verify).

Because Microsoft doesn't support C99, you might fine they don't support MPI_INT64_T - maybe they do because it's in C++11 (?) - but I care far too little about Windows to investigate this.

Do you intend to send messages with more than 2^31 elements? This is a very different issue.

I have been working with other code teams on this for some time. What most people try to do is not consistent with the MPI standard and can lead to erroneous programs.

Anyways, sorry for my ignorance, but I think you'll be fine with requiring MPI-2.2, as everyone has it, or at least the majority. OpenMPI might say they are only at 2.1, but I recall they are missing only one (useless) feature.

Best,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone