[gmx-developers] Some thoughts about new trajectory analisys api

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Tue Feb 5 01:17:19 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM, Schulz, Roland <rschulz3 at utk.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Alexey Shvetsov <alexxy at omrb.pnpi.spb.ru>wrote:
>
>> В письме от 4 февраля 2013 10:51:29 пользователь Roland Schulz написал:
>> > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:00 AM, Alexey Shvetsov

>> marked
>> >
>> > I suppose you mean const? I think it makes sense that they are const. I
>> > think you should make a copy of them before modifying them.
>> >

>>  Ghmm may be there should be some kind of helper function to copy sel
>> class?
>>
> Why would you want to copy sel? I thought it would be sufficient to copy
> x. angle.cpp has a copy_pos. It might be nice to have that in Selection,
> e.g.:
>  void copy_x(int first, int last, rvec x[]) const;

Actually that suggestion is very non-std like. It combines access to the
complete range of coordinates ,with the algorithm (copy), and thus is less
flexible because these two things can't be combined differently.
So it might be better to provide: "iterator xBegin()" and "iterator
xEnd()". That would allow to copy using:
"std::copy(sel.xBegin(),sel.xEnd(),out)".
But I'm not sure we discussed how much we want to make use of iterators.
Our modified version changes that mpp uses iterators and we think it got
better/more flexible by doing that. I think Teemu tried to avoid them. So
this is probably something we should discuss.

Roland