[gmx-developers] hidden compiler flags in 4.6?

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Tue Feb 5 20:30:45 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Szilárd Páll <szilard.pall at cbr.su.se> wrote:

> [...]
> changing the compiler flags.
> Secondly, the name of the variable suggests nothing about the fact that
> this is the only way to review/edit the flags and even if some user happens
> to magically figure it out (which I highly doubt), a cluttered dump of the
> flags "skipped" is even worse than providing a "configure-compatible"
> behaviour, i.e with configure everything is in the config.log while we have
> only the CMake defaults (=inferior), with configure you override
> everything, in our case some flags get overridden other don't.
>

>>   Additionally, there is another issue with the bove example: manually
>>> passing CMAKE_C_FAGLS_RELEASE will overwrite the default release flags (-O3
>>> -DNDEBUG). This leads to another issue: passing any additional release flag
>>> will lead to -O2 being used as this is the default with most compilers (and
>>> -O3 get overridden). Consequently, if one wants to *append* and
>>> optimization flag, this can only be done post-configure by modifying the
>>> cache, but not during configure which goes against the principle we tried
>>> to adhere to that users should be able to flexibly configure GROMACS by
>>> using a single command.
>>>

>>  O3 is set by cmake not by us - and it behaves as cmake developers think
>> it should behave. Look at the redmine issues for the details.
>>

>  If you consider this for a second you will probably agree: it's pretty
> much irrelevant (from the user's point of view) whether a flag is CMake
> default or custom GROMACS one. In fact, as we are very much concerned about
> performance and many of the flags we set serve this goal, I would argue
> that the optimization level should perhaps be controlled by us and not
> CMake - especially that CMake happily overwrites the non-hidden part of
> CMAKE_C_FAGLS_RELEASE thus throwing out the *very important* -O3. This will
> result in falling back to -O2 (the default with most compilers) which will
> lead to significant performance loss.
>

>>   I think the above issues need fixing asap, preferably by 4.6.1, but
>>> I'm not familiar with the code, so I can't suggest a concrete solution.
>>>
>>  I disagree. Everything works the way as has been discussed in redmine.
>> We shoudn't change the behaviour after a release.
>>

>  Sorry, but that's not entirely true. #1038 was mostly concerned about
> the CPU acceleration detection not working consistently and about
> monolithic vs modular CFLAGS which is not what I am talking about.
> Unfortunately I did not have time neither to comment on 1040 nor to review
> the change before it got merged (rather hastily, after only 12h by the
> author himself). Note that 1040 which was talking about usability and
> consistency and while the latter has improved, the former has IMO gotten
> worse.
>

> To conclude, I would be OK with the current behaviour if certain thing
> were possible or less awkward to do, e.g.:
>  - reviewing compiler flags used at *configure-time*;

Look at redmine for the details why any implementation, which allows
overwrite and be consistent between Gromacs and cmake flags, would have
been too complicated tol make it into 4.6.

>  and adding or overriding should be possible through a single
> command-line invocation.
>
> More concretely IMO what we need is:
> - A summary printed or at least some read-only advanced variables so that
> one does not need to run e.g "mdrun -version" to know what flags are used;

I was (and still am) all for the summary. I really liked Teemu's start of
it. But it got cut because of time. Not sure it would be a good idea to
print just the flags without having a full summary. I think having
read-only variables is very confusing.

> - An intuitive and consistent way to add/change the flags, what the user
> wants is simple, but currently requires a set of strange steps: enable
> skipping GROMACS flags, copy the printed flags, remove cache, re-run cmake
> with the copied flags.

No need to remove the cache.

Roland