[gmx-developers] Re: 4.6.1 soon!

Christoph Junghans junghans at votca.org
Tue Feb 19 17:30:51 CET 2013

2013/2/19 Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:02 AM, Christoph Junghans <junghans at votca.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> 2013/2/18 Mark Abraham <mark.j.abraham at gmail.com>:

>> I guess, we just need to enable CXX, before the compiler checks to fix
>> the above issue, but then we would have an openmm conditional in main
>> cmakelists.txt file, which is also not nice.
>> >

>> > I looked at that patch last week, and it seemed to me like there was not
>> > much consensus about what solution was appropriate. I thought we'd
>> > probably
>> > not reach an acceptable solution in time for 4.6.1. Thus it's not in the
>> > list of commits I plan for 4.6.1. The choice of commits and timing for a
>> > release is normally pretty arbitrary, but there has to be one or we
>> > never
>> > deliver anything!
>> I like to have deadlines, but that also means we have to find a
>> consensus in time and not just ignore things.
>> As far as I can see only Szilard had an opinion on that issue.
>

> When resources are finite, things get deferred. I'm our only full-time
> resource on this project. Everybody else is some degree of volunteer. It's
> great that we have such willing, capable and dedicated volunteers, but we
> all have to prioritise our time. I know I could keep two clones of me busy
> :-)
To clarify, I don't ask you to fix it, I will take care of it as soon
as we have decided on something, I just don't want to waste my time
fixing it if the patch doesn't get merged in the end ;-)

> In the case of things in contrib, that deferral might in practice be
> infinite. That's life. There's 170 open Redmine issues needing attention :-)
>
>> > If fixing OpenMM to build and/or work from src/contrib is important to
>> > someone, then they're welcome to spend some time on it. Frankly, there's
>> > not
>> > much of value in 4.6 that will also benefit someone who needs an
>> > OpenMM-capable mdrun. If I needed the latter, I'd be installing a 4.5.x
>> > version of GROMACS for OpenMM and hoping for the best!
>> >
>> > I'd be perfectly happy removing it entirely from the repo. One of the
>> > joys
>> > of version control is that it is easy to revert the deletion patch.
>> I haven't heard any complains on the user's list, so I guess removing
>> it would be the easiest, quickest and cleanest solution, but Szilard
>> had the opposite opinion. In the current state nobody will realize
>> when md_openmm.c and normal md.c get out of sync as it is hard to
>> build in the first place,  it is just a matter of time until openmm
>> support gets completely broken.
>

> Yep. It's in contrib so it's clear we're not maintaining it. There's
> probably other stuff that will join it later in the year. Ideally, stuff in
> contrib would work, rather than be a dumping ground, but that requires
> maintenance and testing and we're not prepared to do that for things we've
> put in contrib. Two months elapsed after people in Stockholm decided they
> didn't want to maintain it, so I took the initiative to move it to where
> that decision was clear to the wider team. Another month has passed. If
> nobody wants to make it work or maintain it there, then it will quietly die.
>
> An alternative would be to create a "feature" branch that labels the "last
> believed good" version of code before we decide to stop supporting it &
> remove its code. That's just going to be a label on a commit. The same
> purpose is served by looking at the parent of the commit before a feature's
> code was moved to contrib.
The only reason why I am pushing for a fix is that, right now, one
cold get the impression that uncommenting a single line in
src/contrib/CMakeLists.txt would be enough to build OpenMM, which is
not the case.

I guess we have 4 solutions:
a.) change the comment in src/contrib/CMakeLists.txt
b.) fix it for 4.6.1 or 4.6.2 (90% done in
<https://gerrit.gromacs.org/#/c/2087/>)
c.) remove OpenMM reference from everywhere, but src/contrib to make
it 100% contrib (will take me 5 mins to create a patch)
d.) feature branch (+c.) in release-4-6 branch)

So, please developers speak up.

Christoph