[gmx-developers] Post 4.6

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Mon Jan 21 15:37:00 CET 2013

Hi,

Typically we do not allow new functionality to be added in patch releases
which means that after a major/minor release happens only bugfixes,
performance regression fixes or other improvements involving rather minor
code changes are allowed in patch branches. All major development effort
should be focused on the next release. The aim is to have feature-wise
super-stable releases with patch releases changing close to nothing that
can affect the behavior or results of mdrun or tools. This ensures that
people can safely upgrade to new patch releases even in the middle of a
scientific project.

The 4.6 release is a very much performance-oriented release with new
parallelization and SIMD acceleration schemes and there will be some minor
additions like SIMD acceleration extensions targeting exotic
HPC architectures like Sparc or PPC, but nothing much more than that.

Szilárd