[gmx-developers] Documentation for suffix change for GROMACS 4.6

Bogdan Costescu bcostescu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 22:42:45 CET 2013

Dear GROMACS developers,

I don't know whom to address regarding the documentation available on
the website, so I hope that the person(s) taking care of it read this
mailing list.

I would like to suggest some changes in the section "4.7. Changing the
names of GROMACS binaries and libraries" of the installation
instructions for release 4.6. I find the text which is currently
there:

"This can be controlled manually with GMX_DEFAULT_SUFFIX,
GMX_BINARY_SUFFIX and GMX_LIBRARY_SUFFIX."

not quite informative and is partly wrong. The last variable should be
"GMX_LIBS_SUFFIX", according to the logic in CMakeLists.txt starting
at line 307. I would like to suggest adding the following phrases
after the above one:

To set a custom suffix, GMX_DEFAULT_SUFFIX should be set to OFF and
GMX_BINARY_SUFFIX and/or GMX_LIBS_SUFFIX should be set to the desired
suffix. For example, to set a suffix of "_modified" for both binaries
and libraries, run CMake with:

cmake ... -DGMX_DEFAULT_SUFFIX=OFF -DGMX_BINARY_SUFFIX=_modified
-DGMX_LIBS_SUFFIX=_modified

Cheers,
Bogdan